A Friend I define...

Friend (noun) : a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically one exclusive of sexual or family relations.
This is the official definition of the word according to the Oxford English Dictionary! If only friendships were like definitions – simple and easy to define. But they are far more complicated! Friends are like the vessels who guide you through life’s stormy seas and get you safely ashore – hence the term friend‘ship’! The first friends one makes are the ones in kindergarten. These usually end with one boxing the other for a piece of candy or last for a lifetime! I still remember singing ‘yeh dosti hum nahi todenge’ with one such buddy.

Of course we both took turns at being Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra! Then comes secondary school, where one had to be careful about the friends one chose to ensure you looked ‘cool’.

Here, the kindergarten buddy obviously pretended like complete strangers! Makes one realise that the strength of a friendship has nothing to do with its durability!

For me, the kind of friends you have stand testimony to your character and nature as a human being. If at 4am in the middle of a crisis your greatest dilemma is whom to call, not because of lack of options but because of ample choices, that means you have been a pretty decent fellow!

I would like to believe all my friends are my ‘best’ friends. Someone is the ‘best’ at making me laugh, someone is the ‘best’ at inspiring me to word hard, someone is ‘best’ at making me enjoy the pleasure of lazing around, someone is ‘best’ at understanding that I need to be alone. The one thing in common with all of them is that I can walk down the path of life with them singing yeh dosti hum nahi todenge!

Comments

Popular Posts